||National Department of Agriculture
Department of Health
and the farming community
Know your rights
People with HIV/AIDS often experience some form of discrimination
According to the law
The person with HIV/AIDS has an equal right to:
- health care
- fair labour practices
This means that
- An employer must treat a farmworker who has HIV/AIDS the same as any other worker.
- You cannot be ordered off the land because you have HIV/AIDS.
- You have a right to live in your house.
- You should have access to health care.
- You can continue working until you are too ill to work.
- You need not tell your employer that you have HIV/AIDS.
- You cannot be fired because you have HIV/AIDS.
You can only be dismissed when you are continuously too sick to work
For further information contact your nearest health clinic or
Compiled by Directorate Communication, National Department of Agriculture
Printed and published by National Department of Agriculture and obtainable from
Resource Centre, Directorate Communication, Private Bag X144, Pretoria 0001, South Africa