Coughs and colds are diseases of the lungs and the respiratory passage.
· Watery eyes.
· Watery discharge from the nose, which later becomes yellow in color.
· Loss of appetite.
· Body temperature is higher than in a normal animal (fever).
· Difficulty in breathing.
Symptoms of coughs and colds
· Moist conditions in the animal
housing because of poor lighting and ventilation.
· Overcrowding of animals.
· Allergic reactions.
· Lung parasites.
· Breathing in dusty food particles.
· Infectious diseases.
· Foreign particles, irritants or oil in the respiratory passage.
· Avoid overcrowding, feeding of dusty feeds and exposure to rain or bad weather, especially for young animals.
Any of the following can be used to treat coughs and colds:
Fresh Adhatoda vasica leaves.
Fresh Moringa oleifera (drumstick) leaves.
Fresh Gmelina arborea leaves.
Fresh Curcuma domestica (whole plant with roots).
Chop 5 handfuls of each of the ingredients into small pieces. Mix the ingredients together and divide into 3 parts. Put each part into a plate-sized cloth and tie the cloth to make a pouch. Warm the pouches with steam. Put each warm pouch on the animal's chest for 20-30 minutes, until that pouch has cooled. Then replace it with another warm pouch. Keep the other two Douches warm to allow continuous treatment. Do this twice a day for 2 days. This is best done early in the morning and late in the afternoon. (Sri Lanka. 1, 2, 3, 4)
Boiling a treatment against coughs and colds
· Apply 300 ml of Mimusops elonga seed oil all over the animal's body, especially on the chest. Keep the animal near the fire so that it is warm. Heat a gunny sack, towel or any absorbent cloth above the fire (not so near as to burn it). Put the sack over the chest of the animal and keep it there for 20-30 minutes. Repeat this twice a day for 2 days. (India Sri Lanka. 1, 2, 3, 4)
Apply the fire
· Mix 250 ml of vegetable oil with 50 g of camphor powder to make camphorated oil. Rub this on the chest. Do this continuously for 5 minutes or until you can feel the warmth of the chest. Do this twice a day for 2 days. (India. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
The dosages given below are for adult cattle and buffaloes. Use one-third to half the dosage for sheep, goats and calves. Give the remedy for a maximum of 10 days or until symptoms disappear (unless the duration is stated below).
· Brassica integrifolia (raw
Black pepper (Piper nigrum) seed.
Moringa oleifera (stem bark).
Finely pound a handful of each of the ingredients, mix and make a small bolus. Put 4-5 bolus inside the animal's mouth twice a day for 3-4 days. Make sure the animal swallows the medicine. (Sri Lanka. 1, 2, 3, 4)
· Boil 2 handfuls of fresh leaves of Tamarindus indica with 1 liter of water for 5 minutes. Drench with 1 liter of the liquid, 3 times a day for 3 days. (Philippines. 1, 2)
· Pound 500 g of fresh Erythrina indica leaves and mix with 300-400 ml (I big glass) of water. Drench all of this amount twice a day for 2 days. (Indonesia. 1, 2)
· Mix 5 g of Curcuma domestica (dried rhizome) powder with just enough brown sugar to bind the powder. Feed this as a paste to the animal twice a day for 10 days. (India. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
· Mix 5 g of powder of each of the following ingredients:
Curcuma domestics (dried rhizome).
Ocimum sanctum or Ocimum basilicum (dried leaves).
Adhatoda vasica (dried leaves).
Ginger (Zingiber officinale/zerumbet) (dried rhizome).
Add 2 cups of water, mix and drench at once, 2 times a day for 10 days. (India. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
· Separately grind 1 whole dried plant of Glycyrrhiza glabra and dried leaves of Ocimum sanctum, Adhatoda vasica and Curcuma domestica rhizome. Take 10 g of each powder and mix them with enough brown sugar to bind the powder. Feed as a paste to the adult animal 2 times a day for 5-10 days. (India. 1, 2, 3)
· Mix 10-15 g of dried Alpinia galanga rhizome powder with a little brown sugar to make a paste. Feed as a paste or apply the paste to the tongue of the animal, twice a day for 5 days. (India. 1, 2, 3, 5)
· Grind 5-10 g of dried rhizome of Zingiber officinale or Zingiber zerumbet to powder. Mix with a small amount of brown sugar to make a paste. Feed this twice a day. (India. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
· Boil 10 g of either dried or fresh Adhatoda vasica leaves with 2 liters of water for ½ hour. Drench with 500 ml of the liquid twice a day for 10 days. (India. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
· Grind 5 - 10 g of dried Ocimum sanctum leaves to powder. Mix with a little brown sugar and apply paste to the tongue 2-3 times a day. (India. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
· Mix the juice of 1 lemon (Citrus medica) fruit with a pinch of salt and apply to the tongue of the animal twice a day. (Thailand. 1, 2, 3)