Lice in ruminants is a result of bad sanitation.
· Animals scratch or rub their bodies against trees or posts, their pens and other objects.
· In ruminants, lice eggs concentrate at the tip of the tail, the hair inside the ears and the hair around the eyes.
· However, in buffaloes, lice also spreads all over the body.
· Keep animals clean by washing
· Allow buffaloes to wallow every day. (All countries. 1, 2, 3)
· Drive animals into the sea once a month for about l/2 hour. (Philippines, Sri Lanka. 1, 2, 3)
· Shave the affected parts of buffaloes. (Philippines. 1, 2, 3, 4)
All of the preventive measures listed above can also be used as treatments. Or you can:
· Finely pound together 1 kg of tobacco leaves, 500 g of sugar apple (Annona squamosa) seeds and 500 g of neem (Azadirachta indica) leaves. Mix all the ingredients together in ½ liter of water. Stir until well mixed. Let stand for 1 hour. Then smear the mixture on the affected areas of the animal's body. After 8 hours, the lice will die. (Thailand. 1, 2, 3, 4)
· Mix powdered chalk, salt and soap with a little water and smear the paste on the affected parts.