Constipation or impaction usually occurs in the dry season. It can be remedied easily. However, if constipation persists for 4-5 days, it could lead to infection of the bowels.
· Straining while trying to pass
· No dung or urine found left by the animal in the morning.
· Hard dung.
· Low fiber feeds.
· Not enough drinking water.
· Sudden change in diet.
· Feed animals vegetables, green forages (like maize leaves, lucerne, alfalfa, elephant or guinea grass, etc.) and other high fiber foods.
· Give adequate water.
· Reduce sources of stress.
· Keep animal housing clean.
Select any of the following treatments:
· Drench 500-750 ml vegetable oil (coconut, peanut, sesame, etc.) twice a day for 3 days. (All countries. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
· Use any of these laxatives: castor oil, liquid paraffin oil, raw linseed oil. Drench 300-400 ml a day for 1-2 days. (All countries. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
· Take 300 g of ripe tamarind (Tamarindus indica) fruit. Remove covering, seeds and fiber. Boil in 1 liter of water. Cool. Give the resulting liquid to the animal by drenching once or twice a day. Do this for 1-2 days. (Laos, Thailand. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
· Feed as many fresh banana (Musa sp.) leaves as the animal can eat until it recovers. (Philippines. 1, 2, 3, 4)
· Feed 50-100 g of dried Aloe vera leaf pulp until the animal recovers. (Indonesia. 1, 5)
· Give 10 to 20 g of powdered henna (Lawsonia inermis) leaves with rock salt. (India, Indonesia 1, 5)
· Prepare decoction of a thumb-sized turmeric (Curcuma longa) rhizome in 1 liter of water. Let the animal drink the decoction once a day for 1-3 days. (Philippines, India. 1, 2, 3, 4)
· Grind ¼ kg of Aristolochia bracteata leaves. Mix with 50 g of molasses. Feed the animal in the morning, in the evening and again the next morning. (India. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
· Chop 1 banana (Musa sapientum var. Iatundan) blossom. Crush with rock salt. Add a little water. Feed this to the animal. (Philippines. 1, 2, 3, 4)
Treatment with banana blossom